For over 20 years, oil companies around the world have relied on Pentair Thermal Management’ PetroTrace Downhole Heating Systems as a flow assurance/enhanced oil recovery tool to improve/facilitate production, eliminate down time, and prolong the life of the well.
Downhole Heating – A Complete Heat Management System Approach
Pentair Thermal Management’ Downhole heating systems are supplied as an engineered system that uses electro-thermal heating technologies to apply heat in the wellbore to provide flow assurance and/or to increase flow in the production string. The heating cables are inserted into the reservoir, providing a constant source of high thermal energy in the pay zone.
A typical system includes:
- Downhole electro-thermal heating cable
- Electric Submersible Pump (ESP) cable
- Power connection and end termination kits
- Clamping systems
- Temperature gauges
- Wellhead connectors
- Top side control and monitoring equipment
Download our new digital brochure for your iPad and learn how to increase Oil production, reduce cost and have an environmentally friendly solution.
In the reservoir, extremely viscous fluids are essentially locked in the formation because of their inability to flow making oil recovery difficult. Bottom-hole heating is a precise method of delivering heat directly to the pay zone.
- This precision makes electric bottom-hole heating an excellent solution for enhanced recovery of heavy crude oils and bitumen, and for reservoirs with high paraffin content.
- Bottom-hole applications include both vertical and horizontal wells.
Crude oil is a mixture of hydrocarbons such as paraffin, aromatics, napthenes, resins and asphaltenes. Among these types of hydrocarbons, the high molecular-weight paraffin (i.e. waxes) and asphaltenes can cause difficulties in the transportation of crude oils from the warm reservoir to the cooler wellhead.
Additionally, the cooling of production oil and gas as it flows from the reservoir up through the production tube can produce a variety of problems.
- Wax molecules begin to precipitate out of the liquid phase below a certain temperature known as the Wax Appearance Temperature (WAT). Below the WAT, waxes can precipitate out on the production tube surface, eventually blocking oil flow in the production tube, and can increase viscosity and reduce production rates.
By delivering a constant source of thermal energy, PetroTrace Downhole heating systems can help avoid the costly interruptions and stoppages associated with paraffin, hydrate or heavy oil plugs.
When our advanced products are combined with our engineering and installation services, you get an integrated solution that is strategically planned and executed for an optimum heat management system (HMS). By understanding the environment and the applications, we can manage the industry’s heat requirements from reservoir to refinery. We offer superior heating systems with engineering expertise and experienced installation services.